Swidget 1.0 2

Sunday, May 6, 2007

"Ground temperature here in Chicago is one degree". WTF?

That title is the first the I heard after landing in Chicago this past weekend. Why on earth would anyone want to live in the north during the winter (says the guy that lives in a place that, in the summer, is the equivalent of an overcast day in hell)?
I step off the plane (literally) and saw more of my breath in 2 seconds than in the past 2 years combined. I was born and raised in the South and am totally not used to that kind of crap; much less the 5 inches of snow that fell over the course of a few hours Sunday night (also more than I have experienced in my last 10 years combined). I do have to admit, that I was thrown by the preponderance of stand-alone moustaches and funny accents, but I could see myself living up there (with a much heavier coat).
I did come back to find O'Hare having a traffic control problem, making my flight even later than normal and not getting back to Houston until nearly midnight after an already long day of snow-shoveling for the first time in my life. One very ironic thing I did come back to was on the drive home, an ambulance driving beside me decided that he need to be in my lane, so cut me off without even using his blinker or any notice. After a long honk and a big blaring "superfinger" (don't worry, it wasn't carrying anyone), I thought "wouldn't it have been funny had I gotten hurt in that accident and had to go to the hospital?" It would have been like seeing a Fire Department building on fire.
I didn't watch (nor care about) the Grammy's this past weekend. I am a closet Timberlake fan, though.
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, to which a lot of people make a big deal about. Usually the ones that do are singles talking about how Hallmark made up the holiday. I do have to admit that I was one of those people for the first 11/14ths of my life, but I think it is important to remind people to tell the ones they care for that they love them. If one is single on that day, don't let it get you down, but get some other single friends and go tear up the town.
It's been 3 days since the last football game of the season and I am already Jones-ing. I'll save my draft-talk for later, but I am already thinking about it.
I saw a girl from a weekly seminar I go to at a local Blockbuster the other day and I said hey to her while in the store. You would not believe the look I got when I touched her, said hello, and then started talking to her normally, all while she did not recognize me. The look on her face was absolutely priceless. The raw combination of shock, memory-tracking, intrigue, and utter disdain was a "perfect storm" of emotion, but was completely lost once I reminded her of where I knew her from. In fact, I think I may start doing that to people I don't know just to get that look again. I suggest that all of you try that sometime this week as your 'homework assignment" as well.

No comments: