Swidget 1.0 2

Sunday, May 6, 2007

I drive a 2005 Dodge "big orange magnetic target"

OK, point of advice right off the bat: if you ever mention something that "doesn't" happen, and you don't want it to happen, make sure to either knock on wood or bite your tongue and not say it. A prime example (as every sports fan knows) is right before an important field goal in football or extra point in basketball, if the announcer says something like "this guy doesn't miss critical ones" he no doubtly will.
This applied to me exactly 57 weeks ago, when at the beginning of 2006 I said "Man, I've lived here in Houston for almost 5 years and despite the bad driving, I haven't even been close to an accident." Those were the words that have plagued me ever since.
Since I said that, I have gotten into 4 accidents with this weekend being the most recent (3 completely not my fault and about 70% not mine). The one this weekend is primarily cosmetic with just paint damage, but come on! What do I need to do to lose this curse?!?! Here is a recap of the timeline:

January (1st week) 2006: I said those words I wish I never said outloud.
February 2006: I have to stop fast on 610 b/c the person in front of me did. The person behind me didn't. Jalope (the older-than-me German car with the Spanish name) is totaled. Enter orange Dodge Neon.
June 2006: Going home from the Astros game. Standstill traffic, yet the amigo in the pick up truck in front of me decides to get into the left left, so puts it in reverse and hits my front end, running into my grill and breaking my headlight.
October 2006:Going home from playing football, I come to a 3-way stop. Oncoming person doesn't stop b/c she's screaming at her kids, hits the person going from my left-to-right who proceeds to get inertia-ed into my entire driver side. Enter new paint job that is more of a burnt orange giving me even more "Hook 'em Horns" than before.
February 2007: Showing interviewees around town this weekend I back out of a parking space, get told the other person is also backing out, I stop, she doesn't, my back end now has green paint and scratches.

I do have to watch my right side now, b/c it is next on the list. In fact, I think the curse may be spreading b/c Chris just got into an "incident" in Wisconsin 2 weeks ago, so maybe this curse is kinda like "The Grudge" and is now affecting the people I closely associate with. Watch out, anyone reading this!

By the way: "Spudder" is a real word, but it's not a potato-farmer, like you may think. It's a tool for removing bark from trees. I found this out after I looked it up after not playing it, due to the thought that it may not be a real word. Had I played it, I would have gotten the 7-letter bonus and would have won the game. ARGHHH!!!! Now I am 1-1 on the year with the M.D./Ph.D. with which I play. If anyone reading this ever wants to play me, I'm game!

No comments: